History of the Cornwall Golf & Country Club
The Cornwall Golf and Country Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in North America; our Centennial year was celebrated in 1996. An interesting past and its numerous individual and entertaining characters have moulded the history of our club, allowing us to continue enjoying the long legacy of the C.G.C.C.
Cornwall’s first golf course was established on the James Dingwall property located directly north of the present Armory on 4th St East in Cornwall. Between the years 1902 and 1926 the course was relocated four times with the fourth location being on the Colquhoun property that presently houses St Lawrence College.
The four courses were all created on leased land adjacent to developing areas of the town. The Clubs financial statement at the end of 1925 indicated a surplus of $16.25 with no accounts payable!
On or around April 27, 1926 the Colquhoun property located just four miles east of Cornwall was purchased for $8,000.00 and became the final home for the C.G.C.C.. The property located along the St Lawrence River included 70 acres of land and a white frame farm house that served as the club house. The river was a great water source as well as adding beauty to the location. Play began on this nine hole course on August 7th 1926.
In 1958 further acreage was purchased for $40,000.00 and a new 18 hole course was designed. Doug Knight, presently an honorary member of the CG&CC, measured the initial rough layout of the second nine. Doug is the second of four generations of Knights who have played, and continue to play, the course. Eighteen holes opened for play in June1959. The large white farm house made an ideal club house and it served the members well from 1926 until it was destroyed by fire in June 1951. The clubhouse as we know it today was the built to replace the quaint old farm clubhouse. From the early fifties until recently there were only two houses bordering the golf course – the Tranchemontagne house to the east and the Morris house located adjacent to the parking lot.
In 1982 the property known as the Purcell property, located on the east side of the course, was purchased for the purpose of creating a practice range. This involved relocating holes #11 and #17. As it stood at the time, #11 was located where # 17 is today and # 17 was located where the practice range now sits. The redesign of these two holes necessitated moving #11 east to the Purcell property and incorporating the “Mighty Oak”, and redesigning #17 on the old #11 location. In early 2000s, the ball-swallowing pond was created making the approach to the #17 green much more challenging. The relocation of these two holes made room for a new practice range and putting green. Prior to this time the only practice area was in the farmer’s field to the west of the course!
The course today
Today the course is recognized as the Seaway Valley’s premier golf course and features a variety of indigenous mature trees, lush fairways, and its signature small and speedy greens. It also has a large practice range and a practice putting green. The course presents an excellent challenge for all golfers.
C.G.C.C. boasts a well stocked pro shop that will satisfy every golfers shopping needs. Our qualified professional offers instructions to both the beginner and the most advanced golfer.
We offer varied membership and power cart packages that are tailored to accommodate most schedules (see Membership 2015). We also offer limited green fees. If you are interested in playing on our challenging tract please contact 613-931-1300 for more details or click on Membership.
(Much of this information was retrieved from the 100th Anniversary book. A huge thanks to Doug Knight).
- Sylvain Lacelle, Club House Manager
- Michael Anderson, Head Chef
- Nancy Green, Accounting
- Larry McGillivary, Head Greens Keeper
- Ray Champagne, Club Captain
- Dawn McKeown, Ladies President/Club Captain
The Cornwall Golf and Country Club is a member of the RCGA, Golf Quebec and the Cornwall and Area Chamber of Commerce. The Course is owned by its members and is governed by a Board of Directors.
Board of Directors – 2015
|President (Officer)||Tim Bertrand|
|Vice-President/Privacy (Officer)||Rick Eamon|
|Finance Chair (Officer)||Robert Winchester|
|Club Captain (Officer)||Ray Champagne|
|House Chair||Gerard Bingley|
|Membership Chair||Catherine Gagnon|
|Officer by Appointment / Secretary||Nancy Green|
Board of Trustees – 2015
*All Board Members can be reached through the Club by phone at 613-931-1122 or by email at email@example.com.